VISIR® is a service providing optimized nautical routes in the Mediterranean Sea. The optimization regards total navigation time, taking into account safety of navigation. Both motorboats and sailboats are considered.
The computation of the routes depends on model forecasts of sea-state and wind.
The user can specify departure date and time, departure and arrival locations, vessel type, and other parameters.
Detailed information about the model on which VISIR® is based can be found in the publications:
· Mannarini, G., Pinardi, N., Coppini, G., Oddo, P., and Iafrati, A.: VISIR-I: small vessels – least-time nautical routes using wave forecasts, Geosci. Model Dev., 9, 1597-1625, doi:10.5194/gmd-9-1597-2016, 2016.
· Mannarini, G., Turrisi, G., D'Anca, A., Scalas, M., Pinardi, N., Coppini, G., Palermo, F., Carluccio, I., Scuro, M., Cretì, S., Lecci, R., Nassisi, P., and Tedesco, L.: VISIR: technological infrastructure of an operational service for safe and efficient navigation in the Mediterranean Sea, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 1791-1806, doi:10.5194/nhess-16-1791-2016, 2016.
· Mannarini, G.; Lecci, R.; Coppini, G., "Introducing sailboats into ship routing system VISIR," in 6th International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications (IISA), 2015 , vol., no., pp.1-6, 6-8 July 2015, doi: 10.1109/IISA.2015.7387962
VISIR® is a registered trademark (https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/) of CMCC.
- Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici (CMCC). CMCC is responsible for the operational research activities, the distribution and visualization of products;
- Links s.p.a., which has created the system for web and mobile publication of the products.
Weather forecasts are based on observations and forecasts, produced and certified by the Meteorological Service of the Italian Air Force (http://www.meteoam.it/).
Horizontal space resolution: 1/8 degree (about 14 km in the meridional direction).
Time resolution: 3-hourly up to +72 hours since last analysis and then 6-hourly.
Ocean and sea-state forecasts are produced by the Copernicus Marine Service (http://marine.copernicus.eu/).
Horizontal space resolution: 1/16 degree (about 7 km in the meridional direction).
Time resolution: hourly.